Sunday, June 21, 2009

Parker & Lieber go UNDERGROUND

A few years ago, I attended a small comic convention in Calgary, Alberta. At the show, I sat next to Jeff Parker. We got along great, and ever since then, I look forward to our brief chats whenever we run into each other at various other conventions.

At the most recent Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, Jeff was telling me about a new creator-owned book he had developed with Steve Lieber. If I recall correctly, he was asking the best way to pitch the book to Image. I told him to just show the material to Eric Stephenson, and I was reasonably sure Eric would greenlight it on the spot. Later, I told Eric to swing by Jeff's booth to see the book. Eric did, and in fact, he greenlit it on the spot.

If this sounds like I'm trying to take credit for Image publishing Jeff and Steve's new book, UNDERGROUND, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

Okay, not really. But it is fun to see just how informal and fast Image's approval process can be, when confronted with a book as cool as UNDERGROUND, by creators as skilled as Jeff and Steve.

According to the solicitation copy, UNDERGROUND is a five issue color series beginning in September from IMAGE COMICS. Written by Jeff Parker, drawn by Steve Lieber, and colored by Ron Chan, the story follows Park Ranger Wesley Fischer as she tries to save Stillwater Cave-- and then has to save herself.

The book is scheduled to launch in September, which means it's available for pre-order right now. You can see all sorts of behind-the-scenes material -- and even read a complete b&w copy (the series itself is in full color) -- at their new website. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

1 comments:

michaeljsmith said...

i am doing an advance review of this book for the guys and Jay hit the nail on the head... good stuff, everyone should check it out